Monday, February 8, 2010

Don't Drink and Ask for a Recommendation on Linkedin

I got an email the other day from Moez, some random person on Linkedin, asking for a recommendation. I don't know this person. Never met him.

Linkedin isn't Orkut. It's for professional networking. It's for adults who want to enrich and further their careers, build their networks, etc. I was really pissed off that some idiot wanted me to use my reputation to further himself without understanding what he was asking from me. When someone says to me, "I recommend this person", I take into accountwhat I know about the person who I'm speaking to. Are they professional? Am I impressed with the quality of their work? Would this person they're recommending be an asset to my team?

When I recommend someone, I do it because I have experience with them. I know their capabilities. If I say they're a star, I stake my reputation on it. Clearly this person has no understanding of how this works. I'm questioning whether he even understands English...

Here's a screen shot of his linkedin page. He actually posted it.

 

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment